Pages

2.08.2016

Taking the Plunge

My oldest daughter, Audrey, teaches me a lot of things. Last summer, the two of us were at the swimming pool for a party with all the other kids from our church. She was merrily jumping off the diving board with abandon. Both the high and low dive. She and her friends were like a row of ducklings jumping into the water one after another. Time and time again they jumped into the water, swam to the ladder, climbed out and got back in line to jump again.

I was over on the other side of the pool deck sitting under the shelter chatting with another mom that I don't get to talk to very often. I was wearing my swim suit but I didn't plan on actually getting in the water. Audrey is a good swimmer and has spent every summer since birth in the pool at her Nana's house. I didn't need to hover and I definitely didn't need to keep watch over her while IN the pool.

After 45 minutes or so of jumping off the diving board, Audrey started toward me. She was dripping from having JUST climbed out of the water yet again. When she got over to me she paused briefly and then said, "I want you to jump off the diving board with me."

I'm sure every mother (every parent for that matter) has those moments where time sort of stops after your child asks you a question and you know that the answer you give is an important one. At that moment, I felt like my answer would be important. I tend to give a lot of answers like "maybe tomorrow" or "I'm not sure" or "next time." But, I could see in her eyes that she really wanted me to jump off the diving board that day. Right then. And there really wasn't any good reason for me to say no. So, I jumped. And I'm so glad that I did.


The lesson... 
When your baby girl asks you to jump off the diving board, don't say "next time." 
There might not be one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to hear from you here in the Haven!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...